Sunday, February 1, 2009

Corporate Glam

One of my favorite movies is Spiderman. From there comes this famous line, “Great power comes great responsibility”. Such phrase didn’t make that much sense to me until now that I’m working and in the real world.

Lately, my bro’s high school friends have been camping in our house almost every day. He’s studying from my old exclusive high school where boys are separated from girls, so imagine the pack of naughty high school boys loitering in our house. We really don’t mind it coz we’d rather have them around our house instead of not knowing where they are. Hanging out with them makes me miss my high school days and it makes me amazed on how different my world moves now as compared to my high school days.

Just like them, I used to hang around with my friends house during high school. We play music, talk about boys, watch tv, laugh like hell and just plain chilling. We don’t worry too much on anything, even our grades. Life was too simple then, we just worry about passing our subjects and graduating. Things only begin to get serious when we got in our senior years that we had to think about college admissions and think about what we really want to be in life. I’m lucky and blessed coz so far, I’m into the field I was imagining I’d be.

Going more backwards, as early as grade school days, I’ve been exposed to the mainstream of high rise buildings in Ayala, Makati. My mom’s a great influence on where I am now since she’ve been working all her career as an accountant too. She always brings us to her workplace that’s why even then I wanted to be a successful corporate woman.

Now, I’m here living that dream. Working in Ayala, Makati inside the 31st floor with a table complete with desktop computer, telephone and everything else I need to work well. In three years working, somehow I can say I have a quiet say in my field, recognized and promoted, and will soon rise to the next level if I continue the way I perform. I am happy with the recognition and trust their giving me but sometimes it makes me go back to Peter Parker’s “Great power comes great responsibility”. Success in the corporate world does indeed require great responsibility, sometimes too much.

Looking at my bro’s friends and just chilling with them makes me want to be a bummer even for awhile and escape the stress and speed of the corporate world, of real life. Hanging out with them makes me go back and appreciate the simple things in life. Their innocence and happiness with just having each other makes me envious to their life. They’ll go online and check their Friendster instead of opening their outlook with hundreds of emails that requires attention. They only have to explain why they failed in a quiz or even subject instead of explaining why they didn’t complete the report within metrics. Not submitting project will only mean lower grade compared to non-completion of reports that leads to numerous feedback and self-humiliation that sometimes makes your morale and self esteem go deeper in the ground, if you’ll think and accept it that way.

Corporate world requires fast-moving, efficient and dedicated professionals. If you want to succeed in it, you need to have all those or else someone else will take charge of you. Corporate world is not all beneficial. It’s linked to the word, “busy”, that’s defined as one of the devilish acts. “Busy” steals the most important thing for us, that’s “time”.

Good thing my bro’s friends are loitering here in our house, coz they remind me to appreciate the simple things in life that this corporate world is keeping me from coz of the glamour and power it shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment