Wednesday, February 11, 2009

P.S.: Why MBA?

I needed to create this for something I want to pursue at the moment, and since I love blogging, it became so easy for me to do it. So unlike of what I used to be. hehe. But hopefully, I'd be able to pursue this and apply it in my goal of becoming free. :D

Here it is.. my personal statement.. why MBA?

I’m a person who values continuous learning. I strongly believe that in order to grow and be better you have to be open and accept new ideas or information. In the ever changing world, such openness to learning is very essential so you won’t be left behind.

I’m a certified professional accountant and have practiced my profession in the most outstanding accounting firm in the country. From there I’ve learned and lived a lot of professional values such as integrity, innovation, excellence and hard-work. Also, with the kind of exposure it had given me, I’ve improved more personal values of patience, motivation and perseverance. These qualities are priceless and essentials if you want to succeed in any field, even life itself.

After that, I’ve worked as a financial analyst in a business process outsourcing firm of Shell Company in the Philippines, Shell Shared Services Centre Manila. In this company, I’ve worked with different kinds of people, both local and foreign. With such exposure, I’ve learned to deal and observe behaviors. Unlike my previous job, not everyone is highly motivated and career-driven, indifferences as they call it. But from there I’ve earned a great value called respect. Despite my young age, the company has helped me discover my leadership capabilities. They’ve stretched my ability by fully trusting responsibilities I could never expect to be performing in my one year service to them. I got promoted to a senior position and was elected as the officer-in-charge of our team to perform back-up works of our control accountant and at the same time assisting our team leader. Such trust boosted my confidence and guided me to think of improving myself more to be able to reach the next level of our organization.

I’ve been working for three consecutive years now and I can say I’ve changed and grown a lot, both personally and professionally. In three years time, I’ve excel and been recognized to be outstanding. But as they say, even how good your own experience can teach you, there will come a point that you’d still be needing guidance and help from others. You need a mentor or a coach who will teach you their tried and tested knowledge in the field you are pursuing to. From them you’ll learn the trick that you can use to improve yourself more both professionally and personally. And that’s the reason why I’ve decided to take up further studies in one of the most reputable school of business in our country. Ever since high school, I’ve always dreamt to study in DLSU. Not only because of it’s accessibility from our house, but because of the school’s reputation of building and teaching a person with its success potentials. But due to financial incapability, my dream wasn’t fulfilled in my undergraduate school. And now that I’m working, I want to continuously learn from the school I’ve always dreamt about.

Continuous learning is very essential despite the number of good professional qualities you may have. In the professional world, you will meet different people and discover a lot of new ideas. And the best way to approach this ever changing world is to be prepared. Graduate studies are valuable in my professional growth and at the same will guide me to succeed. By learning and knowing deeper the business management skills and other relevant courses, I’d be prepared to the next level of opportunity that I’d be handling.

In the next five years, I hope to see myself in a managerial and executive position of a successful and reputable multinational or local company. If possible, I also would like to see myself managing and operating my own business. With this huge dream, I need to be prepared and seek much learning as early as now.

And since our world is continuously changing, in order to survive successfully, we need to change with it and be prepared to face it. In this century, everything moves fast, thanks to technology advancement and increasing educated people. But despite the amazing positive change we have, we are still faced with one that’s larger than anyone could ever imagine, and that’s the global warming. Working in an oil company, I’m very much aware of the increasing demand of oil/gasoline but sadly decreasing supply, notwithstanding, the great effect it causes our environment. With that, renewable resources have been the hot cake that’s being tackled now both by our government and private sectors. That topic not only caught my interest but also made me aware of its effect in our environment that I’ve signed up as a donor and supporter of the group, Greenpeace. And if I’ll be doing a research/thesis, my concentration will probably be on this. Because I want to study any possible solution that can helped our country, as well the world, to discover other means of sustaining our ever changing world plus protecting our environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment