Sunday, February 15, 2009

Getting Old

A few more days and it’ll be my birthday, a year older. I’ve been living for 23 years exact.
A lot of people are surprised when I say my age. Sadly, most of the time they think I’m supposed to be older. L Sometimes I do feel offended when they say that but at times it flatters me when they say I act and think older than my real age. :)

Since my birthday last year, a lot have changed in my life. Actually, too much that I feel it’s been more than a year now. This past year is the year that a lot have changed and happened. But I realized it’s not just coz a lot happened compared to other years, it seems to be because I think and see things differently now that I recognized and remembered every detail of it. I’m not too pre-occupied to keep track of everything.

I once learned that change is the only constant thing. Everything changes except for change. Nice rhyme heh? Haha. But the older I get the more I’ve proven that this is so true. Also, I’ve proven that the older you get, the complicated life gets.

Yesterday, I went to my old school. Going back there made me remember good ol’ memries that I still cherish up to now. Our school still looks 70% the same while 30% different. The walkway is still there but the structure is different. It’s the same with the lover’s lane and the parking lot. It was Saturday and Valentine ’s Day so there were a lot of students and lovers around our campus. Observing people is one of my hobbies lately, scary huh?hahaha. So while waiting for my friend, I can’t help not to observe this college kids with or without their dates. I remember the feeling, the college days feeling which is btw, three years ago. It made me too aware of how old I am now and how different my life is now. But it made me smile too, coz it’s just three years ago, and for such period, I’ve grown and matured so much already.

As most people say, I act and think older than my age. Before, I’d deny this but now, I do feel happy about it. For some people, they want to maintain their youthful look, and I agree to that. But I guess the ideal person for me is a youthful look but matured mind. Man, if I’m like that, that’ll be perfect. :)

In this financial crisis that we are facing, it’s too hard to keep a stress-free, youthful and bubbly self image. With the double workload and tight deadlines that the companies are imposing, it’s too hard to keep track sometimes. Most companies are on tight cost-cutting type of budget that is actually being burdened by employees like me and my friends. Good thing I was enlighten by some truths that I think and approach things differently now, but unfortunately, as I see it, most people are still unaware of why life is so stressful now.

I grow up believing the same things as what most career oriented people believes in. That’ll be studying hard so I can get a nice job and live happily. I’ve always believed that work will make my life easier. But in this current state that I’m in, looks like the thing I used to believe in isn’t real. Coz at the moment, I’m experiencing work crisis that most is experiencing. I thought before it’s coz I’m just too workacholic but with the way my friends in other companies have been complaining too, looks like it’s coz of the crisis already. This global crisis thing isn’t only affecting us financially but mentally and emotionally. Most of my friends feel lost with what and how they’ll live their life in the next years. They feel unsatisfied.

I feel grateful coz before this thing hit us, I was already aware that it’ll come plus the reason behind it. Tho I’m not fully 100% prepared of it, but I feel great that I’m at least 30% financially ready but 99% emotionally and mentally ready. Unlike everyone else who feels lost with what and how they’ll do plus they feel unmotivated and stressed by it, here I am, fully positive about it enduring but at the same time preparing for my next step. I wanted to share this to people to make them aware of it, and that’s the reason why I write blogs, it’s a reminder for me and for everyone else who reads it.

In total, I’m just so thankful for the turn around that changed my life this past year. It changed me a lot, too much that I can’t imagine how I’ll be now if I still think the way the old will.

To end this, just like to leave this for everyone to contemplate with:

Getting old is natural but growing up is a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment