Saturday, February 28, 2009

Habit 1: Be Proactive

This is a continuation of “It all starts with, Habit”.
Do you feel tired with life? Where everything seems to be out of place and control? Does circumstance makes you feel stressed and worried? Does it give you this great desire to just yell as loud as you can?
Well, my friend, been there done that but I’m happy to tell you that I was able to get out of it, more, I became much better. J

I used to be a pessimist and control freak but luckily I was able to see the light of a different perspective.
It wasn’t like a magic from my fairy god mother but more of a bulb of light that changed the sources of everything, and that’s my thoughts.

I always emphasize this, “Life’s a choice”. Same goes with our thoughts. Almost everything in our life is within our control except for little things call “consequences” that’s beyond or beautifully called, fortuitous. God gave us such freedom though he still controls a part of it.

Habit 1 is about being proactive. For most, proactivity means performers and initiators. But to define more accurately, proactive person is someone who are responsible for their own lives. Their behavior is a function of decisions, not of conditions. They carry their own weather, whether it rains or shines have no difference to them. The opposite of proactive is reactive. Reactive are more concerned of feelings. They feel like a victim of someone else’s behavior which caused their circumstance. They blame everyone and everything for their circumstance except their own self.

During my dark days, it was a struggle. But such struggled changed me a lot. The change was a process that was noticed slowly by those people that surrounds me. But now, I’m amazed coz it seems that this change is part of me. I knew it was but to hear it from someone else, someone I just met, and then I felt that it was real, I’ve changed, I am better. Better is an understatement, coz I feel so great.
Surprisingly, I’ve been recently quoted as person with “high EQ”, and truly, I felt so wonderful hearing it from someone I respect and aim to be. J

Habit 1, talks about proactive people and as I see, people that are proactive are those with high EQ.
And to change a pessimist to a person with a high EQ, how did it happen?

In life, there are circumstances grouped to two, a) Concern b) influence.
Concern is about thing that affects us but we don’t have control while Influence is thing that affects us but we have control. Concern includes annoying people, low pay, and all other bad circumstances while influence is more about our attitude. And to change, we have to be more focus on influence instead of concern. Instead of mourning and complaining, better concentrate on what you can control, that’s yourself and your proper approach to your circumstances. J

”I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor” – Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment