Sunday, August 16, 2009

Why can't I give?

What does it take to GIVE?

Took my time off on a Friday night and crossed the street in Ayala to the bus station. The exhausting rush hour pack couldn’t get me a ride so I decided to just eat my dinner in the nearest fast food. On my way, I saw two old grannies in the staircase of Mcdonalds near PBCOM. I’m not usually caring on what I see on streets, but seeing these two grannies at passed 8 in the evening, still roaming in Ayala, did caught me alittle off guard. But remembering I was hungry, I went into mcdonalds and ate my dinner. It was Friday night and exhausted from work, I wanted to go out and have fun. But for some reason, my friends (even my sister) are not available to join me in my Friday play. So instead of feeling sorry, I just tried to appreciate the book I was reading and stayed in mcdonalds. I engrossed myself with reading and lose track of time. After two hours and realizing it was already 10pm, I stood up and walk out of the fast food. Just a few steps out, I once again saw the two grannies, this time they were asking me for a penny. I continued my steps forward when I felt something strange that I stepped back towards them. I didn’t give them money at first, to my amazement, what I did was to talk to them. I took time to talk to them, asked questions to know them better and their concerns. It was a good 20minutes of my time knowing these people. People who were passing by were looking and curious with what I was doing with them, and for some reason I felt different again. Realizing it was getting late, I’ve invited them to go home and since they’d take the bus I’m taking, I’ve joined them til I reached my stop. I gave them a few bucks and I’m thinking of returning to them to answer alittle of what they need. I just need to take time in collating and asking from people who are also willing to give.

“Doing such will take a great deal of my time and money”, as I’ve always thought in the past, for I was thinking of my own resources and time. If I’m not different now, they would have been somebody I’ll just passed by; either coz I have no time or money to offer. Such experience made me realized something again, that if only I’ll take my time to notice them, to get to know them and their concerns, I can be a bridge to the fortunate people who can give something to these people who were less fortunate. And as I’ve noticed, a lot still have good hearts that are willing to GIVE.

GIVING will not take so much of your money and time. Just a percentage of your monthly earnings, even just 1%, if combined with the other 1% of others can create a change in the lives of other people who weren’t as fortunate as you are. Giving money is fulfilling enough, but I realized, taking time to spend with these people that you gave your help, sure creates a bigger change, not only in your character but in your whole life as well.

Remember, life is short. Two important things at the end of it is:

1) How happy you were?
2) How happy others were because of you?

Start giving and experience the happiness it gives your life and other people’s lives. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow!

    IT SURE COULD HAVE BEEN WEIRD for me if I saw that! But knowing you, I'm sure I would get to my senses that you really have a big heart.

    What I remember from this post is what I have always believed. TEACH THEM HOW TO FISH INSTEAD OF GIVING THEM. It is what my father always told me. I see it in his works as a teacher. Some time in my life I have been teaching people to learn and be their best.

    The most rewarding for me is when I teach someone and become a master. Hmmm...oh yeah, I did that already. I taught this officemate to play dota and now he is the master in our office! I used to beat him but no I really find it hard to do!

    Anyway, see you soon when our roads cross again!

    ReplyDelete