Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Journey of an Autistic Accountant




One of the most unforgettable moments in my life is when one quoted me “Autistic”. It was the officemate beside my desk who’ve called me such. Amazed and insulted I’ve asked why, “I’m living in my own world” is what I’ve got. Unsatisfied with her answer, I typed the word autism in google and I found this:


A brain disorder that results in communication, socialization and development problems for the individual that is suffering from it.


I would want to hate my seatmate for calling me such but instead I felt happy for it opened my eyes to see where I was.


I’m not really an autistic type of person but more of a proactive-introvert-superwoman employee (aka certified rat racer). In this environment, requires professional to do more and more work, less and less talk and building relationship.


I was one of those babies who were born with a super-rat racer family. Both my parents are accountant that’s why I pursued Accountancy and strived to get my license to work for a top Accounting firm and eventually end up as a private accountant in a multinational firm. Nice achievement if life is all about titles. And as if this is my resume, I want to add that in a year of service and at 23 I was offered the position of our teams Control Accountant, a leadership position. I am very blessed for I have acquired a great deal of emotional and professional experience in a short time however it also resulted for me to live in a world of Autism.


Reflective as I am, after thorough thinking, I realized why I was living in such world, for with all the paper works in my desk, I did lived in my own world. I was working myself out 16 hours a day sitting and facing my desktop, including Sundays. Why? Will be explained by these two: 1) Ignorance on Leverage, and 2) Self-employed mentality.As such, socializing and building relationship was prejudiced, which resulted for me to lose my true self in the process.


Recognizing where I lacked at, I started searching and learning till I found my answer. I’ve mentioned in my blog, “A piece Called CA2020”, that being part of the core was like a piece of a missing puzzle.


Being a core team showed the real passion and shine of my true self. It guided me out of the autism world thru facing out of my comfort zones. It empowered me to enhance the skills I needed to be effective not only in business but as a person. Such skills included business, people, communication and leadership. These I’ve learned thru exposure to the real world, to people. In here, the more I talk the more I grow while the more I listen the more I learn. The longer I stay the more I realize that the true happiness and fulfillment in life isn’t about titles and how high you climb that ladder. I’ve discovered my happiness and fulfillment in simple things such as talking and listening but creating a big difference in someone else’s life. Such couldn’t be matched by any title or prestige that the corporate can offer me. And the most important lesson I’ve learned in the community is the power of leverage. You are not alone. You don’t have to do everything on your own. And with a team around you, there is a greater abundance you’d achieve.
So why live an autism world? :)
Living life to fullest is like a piece of puzzle that you have to continually searched on to reveal your real shine and passion. It’s not an end but a journey that you have to live along the way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment